What Are Invisalign® Clear Aligners And How Can They Benefit Me?
Patients have plenty of reasons for choosing Invisalign® clear aligners to correct misaligned teeth. In recent years an increasing number of adult patients have started wearing braces. Many who didn’t have the opportunity for orthodontic care as children or adolescents may tend to feel a bit self-conscious about the conspicuous appearance of conventional braces. With these practically invisible braces, patients can achieve a beautiful smile with a subtle, removable appliance. Teens often also enjoy the less noticeable look of clear braces.
Advantages of Choosing Invisalign® Braces
There are a number of advantages to wearing these clear braces, such as:
- Because they’re removable, patients have the freedom to take them out for special occasions or photography sessions.
- They don’t tend to cause the speech impairments that are sometimes caused by other forms of braces.
- They’re easy to keep clean.
- Since they’re not worn while eating, they won’t get pieces of food stuck in them.
- Plaque buildup around brackets is a problem for patients with conventional braces. Since clear braces don’t have brackets, patients won’t need to worry about this problem.
- They’re very discreet compared to conventional braces.
- Wearers won’t have pain or sores caused by brackets and wires rubbing against the interior of the mouth.
Disadvantages of Choosing Invisalign® Braces
Though Invisalign® braces may be ideal for some patients, they’re not the best choice for everyone. Here are a few of the disadvantages of choosing these clear braces:
- They tend to be more costly than conventional braces. Patients can talk to their insurance providers to find out if they cover Invisalign® braces.
- They can cause discomfort while teeth are moving into place.
- They can be inconvenient due to the fact that they need to be continually removed while eating and drinking.
- Patients who forget to brush their teeth after each meal or snack before putting their invisible braces back in may begin to notice staining.
- They aren’t always as effective as conventional braces when it comes to correcting tooth misalignment.
- Patients who have had bridge work, have teeth that require vertical realignment, have problems with crooked back teeth, or need to have their canine and premolars rotated may not be able to use this form of braces.
- Because they’re removable, patients may forget to wear them the necessary 20-22 hours per day necessary to see lasting results.
- Removable invisible braces are easy to misplace.
Invisalign® clear aligners are an innovative alternative to conventional braces. Many patients appreciate the flexibility and aesthetic benefits that Invisalign clear aligners have to offer. You can speak to the orthodontist at your initial consultation to find out if this option would be right for you.