Helpful Tips On Eating With Braces
Some of the first questions people who are considering braces ask are, “What can I eat with braces?” and “What foods should I avoid while wearing braces?” This is an important topic to consider because eating the wrong foods can lead to emergency trips to the orthodontist’s office to repair damaged hardware or missing brackets. Some foods should also be avoided because they can easily get stuck into the hard-to-clean hardware of your braces and cause plaque buildup, bacteria, and tooth decay. Rather than deal with the hassle of having to get your braces fixed or end up harming your teeth, you can follow this simple list of foods you can eat with braces.
Foods You Can Eat With Braces
This is certainly not a comprehensive list of foods you can eat with braces, but it should give you a pretty good idea of how to build the right habits when it comes to eating with braces. For the first few days after getting your braces on, it’s important to eat only soft foods. Some of the best foods to eat while wearing braces include:
- Soft sliced bread, soft taco shells, biscuits, muffins, or other soft bread.
- Soft rice or pasta.
- Meat loaf, meatballs, hot dogs, lunch meat, soft-cooked chicken, deboned fish, soft crab meat, and eggs.
- Soft cooked vegetables, such as canned vegetables or mashed potatoes.
- Soft fruits, such as bananas, applesauce, canned fruit, or diced soft fresh fruit like peaches and plums.
- Desserts like milkshakes, gelatin, cake, and ice cream.
Foods To Avoid While Wearing Braces
When asking yourself “What can I eat with braces?” and “What can’t I eat with braces?” a good rule of thumb is to rule out anything extremely hard or chewy. Some of the foods you’ll want to avoid while wearing braces would include:
- Hard, raw vegetables and fruits, such as carrots, celery, and apples.
- Chewy types of bread, such as pizza crust, breadsticks, and bagels.
- Nacho chips and hard tortillas.
- Sticky candies like gum, caramels, jelly beans, gum drops, licorice, and tootsie rolls
Eating with braces doesn’t have to mean giving up all of your favorite foods. If you stick to the list of foods you can eat with braces listed above, along with any similar food items, you should be able to find plenty of tasty snacks and meals to enjoy. If you want to know more answers to the question “What can I eat with braces?” or you have specific foods in mind that you’re not sure about, feel free to discuss them with the orthodontist at your next appointment.