What Is the Damon® System and What Benefits Does It Offer?
The Damon® System is a unique form of self-ligating braces that are designed to work differently than conventional braces. Instead of using metal ties and elastics to keep the wires in place, self-ligating braces employ metal clips to move the archwires into place. This system offers some distinct advantages over conventional braces.
What to expect with the Damon® System
- They are available in a clear design that’s very discreet. Some people may not even notice Damon braces unless they look very closely at a patient’s teeth.
- They don’t require elastics, therefore can be easier to keep clean than conventional braces that tend to trap plaque.
- They’re not removable, so there’s no risk of misplacing them as patients with clear removable aligners often tend to do.
- They don’t normally cause any speech impairments.
- They often don’t require teeth extractions that are fairly common with conventional braces.
- Many patients find them more comfortable than conventional braces because the hardware is smaller and doesn’t irritate the interior of the lips the way conventional braces tend to do. Damon braces can also be less painful than conventional braces because they don’t need to be tightened.
- Choosing this system of braces can often significantly reduce the overall amount of treatment time as well as the number of necessary orthodontic office visits when compared to those wearing conventional braces.
- Teeth can be moved into their proper positions with heightened accuracy using this method. This can lead to fuller smiles and more aesthetically pleasing facial profiles for patients.
Damon braces truly have a whole host of advantages to consider. They’re comfortable, effective, and could potentially reduce the amount of time you have to spend wearing braces. If all these benefits sound appealing to you, you may want to discuss this option with the orthodontist at your initial consultation.